Wednesday 5 October 2011

Character Design


Initially, I decided to design a character living in a post-apocalyptic/dystopian world.
Due to the harsh environment, lack of food and need for survival, my character had to be athletic and intimidating. He would have to scavenge to survive leading to an appearance drawing on elements of steam-punk.
My basic ideas came from the old weapons, armour, African clothing and photographs of African tribes from the Leeds Museum and the Royal Armouries, as well as the concept art of Borderlands and Fallout 3.
As most of my photos were of Africa, I decided to set the scene in the Sahel Region in Africa. The Sahel Region is a narrow band of desert stretching across Northern Africa known for droughts and tough climate conditions. The basic premise of my idea was that if the conditions of the Sahel are currently like this, what would they be like if a massive global disaster took place?
From the countries in the Sahel Region, I was considering Sudan as the Nile and the Merowe Dam are both located in the nation. Another idea of mine was that, in a time of harsh conditions, all life would flock to the largest water source.
Although I had a basic design, my character lacked a back story, goals, and importantly, a personality.
I redesigned my character while keeping elements of my previous idea such as the face (far left) and the intimidating nature of my character.
Character design sheet coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment