Monday 31 October 2011

Casablanca

The director Micheal Curtiz has produced some of the most iconic scenes in the film Casablanca. I recently decided to expand my film library and while watching it, I thought it was relevant to the character and environment concepts I am doing.
The film stars Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine, a cynical American running a shady
nightclub.


In the film, Rick is a maverick due to his attitude, independence and past experiences. He describes himself as 'never going out of his way to help anyone'. The atmosphere that he possesses gives him a distinct quality that I have only seen in his character.


Rick's Cafe American also has an atmosphere similar to those of film noire. It houses corrupt officials and businessmen on Rick's own will. He doesn't mind that they are there as long as they don't bother him. The only good comes from Victor Lazlo and Illsa Lund who motivate him to do the right thing.



I wanted my character to posses the same cynical attitude as Blaine who is then motivated by an external force to become the hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment